Thursday, May 20, 2010

Dream

Ok, here it comes;

the Debbie Downer aspect of my trip...

I visited the Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial.

The camp was intense to say the least. We walked through the bunkers, barracks, gas chamber, and the crematorium, and it was totally unreal to imagine that so many died there. I think the official number of people that died there was in the range of like 40 something thousand people. It was insane.
The weather yesterday was gloomy and rainy, and we were all really cold walking around the site, but how could we complain about that in a concentration camp??? We had layers of clothing, decent shoes, snacks, etc., so I can't believe that prisoners were actually able to survive there.I wouldn't have made it. I've always thought that camp survivors were heroes in their own way, but after actually visiting a camp, I feel like I haven't been giving them enough credit.
To survive such atrocities is miraculous.
While it may have been a depressing day, I'm glad that I went to visit an important place in history. The experience is something I will never forget. I'd write more but Rachael's computer is pissing me off (sorry Rachael).

1 comment:

  1. I took a class at KU about the Holocaust and it basically changed my life. Is it weird to say I want to visit a concentration camp? Just to put myself there and be in the presence of so much history and horrible past, I think it would really put it in perspective and make me appreciate life more. Plus, I am incredibly fascinated by the Holocaust. So thanks for this post, it's amazing that you got the opportunity to do that.

    ReplyDelete